Local Dialogue Meeting organised by ERGO Member OTAHARIN
Through ERGO Network’s project Strengthening Roma NGOs as transparent and independent watchdog organisations in the framework of the Joint initiative to Empower Roma Civil Society in the Western Balkans and Turkey our member OTAHARIN organised a Local Dialogue Meeting with the city administration in Bijeljina on 31 May 2018. The city was represented by Milan Lazić (Social affairs) and Ljubiša Stanišić (Office for National minorities). From the civil society side, the organisations Otaharin, WA Romkinja and the youth organisation “Senat mladih OMOTE” were present with their representatives Draga Joković, Sabira Hašimović, Fatima Džanić and Mladen Đurić.
Different topics to discuss
A wide range of topics was covered during the intensive meeting between the civil society and local authorities’ representatives:
- Organization of working group meeting for drafting a Local Action Plan
- Proposal for renovation of streets in Roma settlements (asphalting and lighting installation)
- Initiatives of young Roma through support of CARE International (renovation of objects of social vulnerable families)
- Environmental problems near residential buildings for Roma near the canal Dašnica
- Problems with documentation of Roma families to solve housing issues
- Problems with families abusing the facilities they received in terms of renting an apartment for other family
- Problems with families who received objects for living, but still force children to beg
- Suggestions for the organisation of a youth camp within the project implemented by Otaharin
The meeting resulted in the following recommendations:
- Organise a meeting of the working group for reviewing the Local Action Plan with the presence of the Mayor
- Collect necessary information about the target group and their community in order to establish a plan for solving problems of asphalting and lighting (Streets: Bogdana Zimonjića, Baje Pivljanina, Ilije Garašanina, Vojvode Petra Pojovića i Ratka Perića)
- In order to solve environmental problems near residential buildings for Roma, it is necessary to find out what the company received on the tender for maintenance
- Make a call for citizens to donate used furniture, clothes and similar things in order to support social vulnerable families (joint initiative of Otaharin and city administration)
- Define relationships in terms of how much and what can be done in case of unregulated housing documents of Roma
- Define mechanisms for controlling life in buildings built for Roma due to housing problems (non-living and rent to other families) and non-payment of maintenance money – work on changing contracts and rules for obtaining an apartment – include a centre for social work
- Organise a meeting of the working group for the protection of children to resolve problem of begging.
- Proposal of cooperation with the armed forces for maintenance of a youth camp in Bijeljina
The meeting was organised with financial support of the International Visegrad Fund and the IPA Civil Society Programme of the European Commisison.