Women’s economic empowerment – a prerequisite for a life without violence
The Citizens’ Association for the Promotion of Roma Education “Otaharin” in cooperation with the Association of Roma Women are committed to implementing measures for the prevention of gender-based violence. Through the project “Accepting Gender Equality for Better Prosperity for Roma Women and Girls” supported by The Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI), OTAHARIN organized the official launch of the 16 Days of Activism Campaign, followed by youth workshops and training for Roma women representatives.
On 25 November, OTAHARIN organized a meeting with representatives of the city administration, institutions, non-governmental organizations and representatives of the Roma community. On this occasion, Mayor Mićo Mičić supported the organization in its efforts to prevent gender-based violence through economic empowerment of women.
With this meeting, OTAHARIN officially launched the International Campaign “16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence”, which is celebrated annually from 25 November (International Day Against Violence against Women) to 10 December (International Human Rights Day) around the world.
The goals of the campaign are:
- raising awareness of gender-based violence as a human rights issue at local, national, regional and international levels;
- strengthening local work to prevent violence against women;
- creating a clear link between local and international efforts to stop violence against women;
- showing solidarity with women around the world organized against violence against women;
- Creating tools to deliver on the promises made to end violence against women