Roma inclusion in the Community-Led Local Development (CLLD) cycle 2014-2020
Community-Led Local Development (CLLD) is an initiative for involving citizens at local level in developing responses to today’s social, environmental, and economic challenges, and a promising tool for investing in Roma inclusion. Unemployment, poverty, and social exclusion, which are key topics for Europe’s Roma, are among the challenges that the EU has identified for CLLD. Approved CLLD strategies can mean that significant EU funds are available for several years to support those activities and investments that matter the most. The European Commission equally expects CLLD to give ownership to beneficiaries, with a special focus on marginalized communities, through capacity building, empowerment, full transparency, and sharing of the decision-making power.
ERGO Network invests in and supports (pro-) Roma NGOs, community-based organisations, and Roma activists to become involved in CLLD initiatives in their countries, so that as many CLLD strategies as possible tackle Roma exclusion. During 2020, ERGO Network members conducted comprehensive research in three key countries (Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, and Romania), to evaluate the functioning and implementation of the CLLD cycle 2014-2020, with a view to assessing the extent to which Roma inclusion was mainstreamed throughout the CLLD processes, in what concerns both the content of the activities, as well as stakeholder involvement. The partners carrying out this research were Integro Association (Bulgaria), Slovo 21 (Czech Republic), Nevo Parudimos (Romania).
The objectives of the evaluation were:
- To provide evidence on the inclusion of Roma in all stages of the CLLD process
- To assess the quality of Roma inclusion in development strategies and funded projects
- To empower Local Action Groups through increased knowledge of CLLD and strengthen accountability mechanisms at local level
- To empower Roma to take part in the CLLD processes
- To provide recommendations on improvements in the CLLD process to foster Roma inclusion for the next programming period
- To showcase good practices of CLLD projects which put the Roma at their core.
Download the full synthesis evaluation report here!