Pledge to continue fight against antigypsyism
In the framework of the EU Roma Week 2019, 61 Members of the European Parliament have pledged to continue their fight against antigypsyism and to take it to the next mandate of the Parliament after the elections in May.
We wholeheartedly thank our partners in the European Parliament for their work and fully support the pledge.
We encourage you – our friends in the EU Member States – to support it, too.
How? Ask your candidates for the EP elections to sign the pledge and make their support visible by taking a photo with it. Post the photo on social media under the hashtag #StopAntigypsyism. Don’t forget to tag ERGO Network (twitter: ERGO_Network, fb: @ERGONetwork) so we can collect the signatories.
Download the Pledge.
P L E D G E
We, the undersigned, want to create a European society
in which Roma can access and enjoy their rights set in our Treaties,
in which Roma can fulfil their true potential.
We want a European society, in which dehumanisation of Roma is stopped,
a healthy European society free from racism, such as anti-Gypsyism.
A Europe that we can be proud of.
we, the undersigned, affirm that we will continue to work to achieve that:
– regarding the post-2020 EU legislative era –
1. the European Commission puts forward a proposal for a post-2020 Strategic EU Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies (EU Framework) with a wide set of priority areas, clear targets, measurable goals, timelines and indicators for monitoring;
2. the European Council supports the proposal of the European Commission and safeguards the preparation and implementation of the EU Framework in the EU Member States;
3. the governments of the EU Member States prepare their renewed National Roma Inclusion Strategies with the meaningful and timely involvement of Roma and pro-Roma organisations;
– regarding the upcoming EP elections –
4. the parties of the EU Member States actively reach out to Roma, and empower them to run as candidates for the EU Parliamentary elections;
5. the parties of the EU Member States refrain from using anti-Roma hate speech during their campaigns and condemn hate speech and scapegoating;
6. the parties of the EU Member States stop the shameful tradition of buying votes;
7. the governments of the EU Member States guarantee that Roma can fully enjoy their political rights;
– regarding the work of the new European Parliament –
8. the newly elected Members of the European Parliament keep the fight against anti-Gypsyism and all kinds of racism on the agenda, safeguard the continuation of the Antiracism and Diversity Intergroup and consider the creation of an Anti-Gypsyism Intergroup;
9. the newly elected Members of the European Parliament guarantee the continuation of the annual Roma week in the European Parliament;
– regarding the rights of Roma –
10. the governments, the parties and the duty-bearers of the EU Member States safeguard that Roma can be equal citizens with equal rights, and that they can fulfil their true potential as EU citizens.
We, the undersigned, want the EU
to remain true to its democratic values, respect for human rights,
non-discrimination and the rule of law.
´There is only one RACE – the human race.
There is only one RELIGION – love,
There is only one WORLD – or none at all.`
S i g n a t o r i e s :
Juan Fernando Lopez Aguilar
Christine Revault d`Allonnes-Bonnefoy
Jose Inacio Faria
Estefania Torres Martinez
Tania Gonzalez Penas
Miguel Urbán Crespo
Veronica Lope Fontagné
Esteban González Pons
Xabier Benito Ziluaga
Liadh Ní Riada
Angela Rosa Vallina de la Noval
Teresa Jimenez-Becerril Barrio
António Marinho e Pinto