Through civic mobilization from local to European level, Roma achieve equal citizenship and participate in all spheres of life in all European societies without facing discrimination as individuals or as community and enjoy the same opportunities as other citizens.
ERGO Network mobilizes and connects organisations and individuals who share a set of core values to create the courage, capacity and approaches to:
- combat inequality, stigmatization and discrimination;
- strengthen Roma civil society participation in decision making at local, national and European level;
- commit governments and European institutions to effective anti-discrimination and social inclusion policies for Roma.
- ERGO Network champions adherence to democratic values of pluralism, tolerance, dialogue and equality.
- We emphasise the realization of equality of rights as citizens, including the right to dignity and opportunity to define one’s own identity.
- Our guiding principle is that Roma themselves have to take an active role to accomplish equal citizenship, recognising the fact that this is a shared responsibility of Roma communities and majority populations.
- As a network we promote a culture of emancipation and active participation in the public domain – as individuals and collectively. We resist paternalism and tokenism and encourage critical reflection and an investigative attitude.
All member organisations subscribe to these values and adhere to high standards of transparency and accountability. Members are expected to maintain a culture of openness and service to the people, so that that network as a whole can maintain the credibility of its actions and positions.
Founded on local experience
ERGO Network was founded by organizations with direct links to local communities to make their voice heard. The connection with local realities remains our core strength.
Rooted in reality
We support Roma civil society to act from a stronger position and to challenge typical assumptions of policy makers by feeding the debate with evidence from the ground.
We bring people together across borders to share and learn, but also to stand stronger together in representing the issues that our constituents face.
Led by innovation and creativity
We explore unpaved paths to develop non-conventional approaches and new instruments and arguments to drive the Roma policy agenda forward.
Powered by narratives
ERGO Network creates narratives in which Roma people are equally respected. We aim to show the rich diversity among Roma, challenging stereotypical views.
We bring together and align people and organisations that share our passion to bring positive change to the position of Roma in societies.